Rockingham County Health and Human Services
Felissa Ferrell
Director of Health and Human Services
Felissa Ferrell
Director of Social Services
Susan Young, BSN,RN
Interim Health Director

Rockingham County Seal
Temporary Food Establishments


If you would like to sell food at a festival in Rockingham County you may need a temporary food establishment permit. Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) permits are issued to food and drink vendors that operate in conjunction with a fair, festival or other public exhibition. The Eden River Festival, Reidsville Downtown Street Festival and Madison Heritage Festival are examples of events that qualify. Examples of events that do not qualify for a TFE permit are yard sales, auctions, Farmer's markets and flea markets. A TFE permit is issued for each individual event applied for and expires at the end of that event.


Vendors who sell only dipped ice cream, popcorn, candied apples, cotton candy, funnel cakes, doughnuts, peanuts and/or commercially prepackaged food such as chips and candy are not required to apply or qualify for a TFE permit from this Department; however, vendors should contact the NC Department of Agriculture at 919-733-7366 to determine if a permit is needed from them.

Also nonprofit organizations, political committees and other organizations that are exempt from federal income tax may be exempt from needing a TFE permit.


Each vendor must complete the  Application for Temporary Food Establishment Permit and submit it to the Environmental Health Division no later than one week before the event.  EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2012 - MUST APPLY A MINIMUM OF 15 DAYS IN ADVANCE OF EACH FESTIVAL OR EVENT. Also a $75.00 fee must be submitted with the application. Before the event starts, an Environmental Health Specialist will visit your site, to evaluate your stand for compliance with the requirements. It is the responsibility of each food vendor to meet these requirements. If all requirements of the Rules have been met, a permit to operate will be issued. No food service or food preparation is allowed on site until you have received this permit. Your acceptance of this permit constitutes agreement to keep the site as originally permitted throughout the duration of the event and to operate in accordance with all statutes, rules, regulations in The Rules Governing the Food Protection and Sanitation of Food Establishments and any specific conditions which may be included on the permit.  During operation you may be requested to remedy problems observed by the Environmental Health Specialist; prompt compliance is required.


      Environmental Health Specialist
      Environmental Health Specialist
      Environmental Health Programs Coordinator
      | , MO
      Contact Us  |  Site Map  
      Rockingham County Health and Human Services
      371 NC 65 Wentworth, North Carolina 27375 | Phone: 336-342-8140 | Fax: 336-342-8356 | Contact Us
      Site Map  -  Non-Discrimination Policy  -  Notice of Privacy Practices  -  Aviso De Politica De Privacidad
      Powered by MunicipalCMS
      E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook